Debunking Video Jargon: Monetize Wisely with Video Ads
This is a guest post by Mona Sharma, Product Marketing Manager at InMobi, tackling the jargon that permeates the video ad field.
A publisher’s complex life reflects the ever evolving, but fragmented, advertising technology space. Within mobile itself, there are innumerable ad networks, mediation partners, trading desks, and so on. In fact, the many choices have only made it worse. A point argued aptly by Barry Schwartz in his book ‘Paradox of choice’.
Something similar has spilled over to video, arguably the most engaging ad experience on mobile. As a publisher, you have the option to choose from multiple ad networks and a myriad of video specialists. Here, performance and ad experience are the primary axes of selection. However, the very marginal difference between these options has only added to the chaos. It has, therefore, become imperative to look beyond the primary axes and pay close attention to the details of each option.
What they Say and What they Mean
They say that language is the soul of a civilization. And our industry is no exception. The following is common video jargon used by the partners. Deep-dive into them to extract maximum potential from each video impression:
- Our video ads have best in-class Instant-Play technology
We prebuffer ads by caching them on a device’s external storage.
- To enable prebuffering, you must have access to the user-device’s external USB storage. However, note that even with prebuffering, there will be some delay before the video actually plays. The acceptable video load time range is between 0.10-1.5 seconds.
- Prebuffering eats into the user’s data plan. For bandwidth sensitive users, there is always an alternative of prebuffering only on the WiFi.
- Although prebuffering offers the best user experience with minimal video load time, opt-out if your users are device-storage sensitive. Ensure your monetization partner offers the flexible prebuffer controls.
- We provide the best visual experience by serving only HD videos
We serve users only HD videos for the best visual experience irrespective of their network bandwidth.
- Hands down, the visual experience of a 720p HD video surpasses the grainy-vision of a 480p video. But, this visual experience comes at the cost of data and requires the highest quality of network.
- For the user to feel the power of sight, sound, and motion in unison with minimal data impact, prebuffer HD videos based on network connectivity. For instance, show HD video only when the user is on WiFi, 4G or 3G. Be prudent in asking your monetization partner about their HD video policy.
- High Global Fill Rate
We have a global demand pool and we fill the inventory often, overlooking user fatigue.
- To fill inventory globally, monetization partners often overlook frequency capping at the user level. The following are a few questions that you must ask to understand how your user’s ad experience will turn out be:
– How many videos will a user see in a day/ week/ lifetime?
– How many unique videos will a user see in a day/ week?
– How many times is the same advertiser’s video shown to a user?
– What is the frequency capping at an advertiser level?
- If you employ mediation to get better fill rates, the problem worsens as each monetization partner will have their own frequency capping and ad rotation logic working in silos. It may so happen that the same video ad will be shown to the user consecutively.
- Wow your users with the power of sight, SOUND, and motion
We show videos with sound always ON, overriding the sound settings of both the app and the device.
- When a user turns OFF the sound of either the app or the device, it has to be honored. Do not override the user’s sound settings.
- Be cognizant of the video ad behavior at the user’s end.
- We offer almost 100% video completion rate
We do not allow users to skip the video.
- Ideally, a user must be given the option to skip the video on autoplay.
- Ensure that you have access to control the skippability of the video.
In a nutshell, ensure that your monetization partner provides you the flexibility over:
- HD viewing
- Frequency capping
- Sound control
Now that you have decoded all this jargon, it’s time to tie up the loose ends of your video monetization plan!
About the author:
Mona Sharma is a Product Marketing Manager at InMobi, an ad platform that helps developers grow their business through user experience. In her current role, she is responsible for identifying the best monetization strategies and ad experiences for game developers.