Together with our friends from Google, we examine the state of mobile in Africa throughout 2020, covering the shifts caused by the pandemic right through to Q1 2021.
We consider some of the future opportunities for developers and marketers in Africa, as well as guidance on how companies and brands can better understand the app market and make informed marketing decisions.
- Between Q1 2020 and Q1 2021, overall installs increased by 41%
- Non-organic installs increased on Android by 54%, compared to just 19% for iOS
- The first set of restrictions in March 2020 had a huge impact on downloads of gaming apps, which increased by 50% in Q2 2020 compared to Q1, compared to non-gaming apps which only increased by 8%
- 33% of the in-app revenue was generated in Q3 2020
- Between Q2 2020 and Q1 2021 in-app advertising revenue increased by 167%
Africa is one of the fastest-growing regions in the global app market, presenting a huge opportunity for marketers and developers alike.